Friday, September 28, 2007

My friend Brain.

Well, after being discriminated against(or Virus and Spam Blocked) most likely an evil plot by the creators of this blog to keep me from infected others with nerdisms, I was invited to post. I figured I would start with a picture to describe my life in Florida.



As you can see the beach is being covered by more beautiful things, implying I do not see the beach often. Although we (incoming students at the Center for Research and Education in Optics and Lasers (CREOL)) did go to Cocoa beach the first weekend here. Life has taken a dramatic shift from that life to more one where we sit inside and play with calculators and write funny symbols on paper to describe the world around us.

Personally, I am really enjoying myself and things are working out really well. Classes are becoming more taxing, but interesting at the same time. The most important piece of news over the last few weeks is I am now in a research group and adviser, which I will be with over the course of my Ph.D. career. The group is, the Laser Plasma Group and I am looking specifically into research with Fiber Lasers. If you have questions you can ask me now, but I will probably answer you in a year when I have more knowledge and experience.

Other than those things there is a good group of students that I hang out with, about 50/50 domestic, international. International students are from Germany, Italy, Iran, China, South Korea, and India. We usually do one or two things a week (outside of classwork) so it is a completely different than the life at Samford where a person in a situation where there are multiple things to do.

In terms of Orlando, I have not ventured to tourist heaven or hell (whichever you prefer), but in about 10 minutes I will head closer than I have ever been because we are going across town to get Indian food. I pretty much stay between two places; my apartment and CREOL at UCF, occasionally I venture from that building to other parts of campus and remember I am still on a college campus (with 46,000 students). The city to me seems to have no culture. Actually I read a joke once,
Q. What's the difference between Orlando and Yogurt?
A. Yogurt has more active culture.


I'm sure there is more to tell, but I am leaving.

~Sims

6 comments:

Jamie said...

glad to have your blog Sims. It was beatiful. So about your friend Brian, why did you give us some details...how'd you meet him, where, do you guys play cards together? Miss you buddy.

Andrew Sims said...

check spelling.

Jamie said...

oh. you would.

Jennifer said...

that joke... oh simsy. classic. the ball is still in your court.

Jennifer said...

oh. i'm on jen's computer. this isn't jen.

Patrick said...

Sims, living so close to the beach should give you an opportunity to attach one of those laser beams to a shark's head. Let me know how that turns out.

Anyway, good to hear from you. Don't let your professors take Dr. Tarvin's place in your heart.