April is the cruellest month, breeding/Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing/Memory and desire, stirring/Dull roots with spring rain
Time: 1:38 P.M.
Book(s): Pilgrim at Tinker Creek- Annie Dillard; Paradise Lost- John Milton; The Reason for God- Tim Keller
Music: Jose Gonzalez- In Our Nature
State of Mind: tumultuous; fearful; excited; anxious; reflective
It’s Tuesday afternoon. I’m sitting in the Samford food court, because I, sixteen months post-graduation, have still not fully grasped the fact that I am no longer a student here. I miss it. I miss each of you. Sitting here alone with my computer, vitamin water, and Paradise Lost makes me realize that even more.
The weekend was perfect. This man who has meant so terribly much to me, who has so profoundly and consistently helped to shape my walk, who always humbly, lovingly, and encouragingly pointed me back to the cross, who slept-talked like a champ (and thus, whose dreams were always so comically influenced by whatever nonsensical thought came to my mind- "Keith, what is that Ferris Wheel doing in the middle of the quad? Wait, is that LAVA that it's sinking in!?), who's been almost as famous for his inability to articulate what he's excited about as he has been for his near-matchless enthusiasm for whatever it was he wanted to tell you, was getting married… to a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, godfearing girl. I could not be any happier for them. I cannot wait to learn so much from their marriage.
Their rehearsal dinner was such a testament to their relationship. They cited their absolute dependence on community to sustain this marriage; they explained their boundless joy in understanding God’s love more fully through his gift of romantic love; they were made to hear what profound influences they had been.
I have been so privileged to have such friends. How could I do anything but thank God for all of you over and over again?
Keith has been the third resident of 1701 to leave via marriage. Parks will be the first to depart for any other reason (though even that is somewhat debatable). Joseph Rhea & Cliff Cook will be moving in with us soon enough. Life moves endlessly and mercilessly forward, and we feverishly clutch to community because we know we cannot survive without it. We cannot survive without the prayers of our brothers & sisters, without their encouragement, accountability, tears, and rebukes. I am too fearful to guess when we shall all be reunited again.
I had a dream a few months back that we all, around the age of forty or so (which assumes, of course, that I’ll last that long) decided to move to the same place and teach at the same high school. It was incredible. I was so happy. In my dream, the students and community surrounding them were changed. It was so beautiful. Maybe one day…
Less important musings: I’m headed on the junior high retreat with Big Time this weekend (I’m speaking the first night on Jesus washing the disciples’ feet); Erin & I are working on a two-week road trip post-Emily/Claire’s weddings- anyone down?; I have a blog: mattfrancisco.blogspot.com. I’ve tried to keep it mostly a secret, but I’m not afraid anymore. You hear that, “I’m not afraid anymore!” –Home Alone, anyone? And at least you know I’ll post more than Will… Much love.
2 comments:
And I had a dream a few months back that I saw a hippopotamus eating an alligator. Obviously this is another parable about community.
Hi there! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. You have a very nice site. It is worth visiting.
Post a Comment